WHAT CAN WE DO?
Climate friendly and healthy actions
- Plant rich diet: eat mostly plant-based, whole foods
- Consume locally, seasonally and organic; go to farmers’ markets and local shops
- Reduce food waste: eat leftovers; check expiration dates; compost!
- Read food labels before you buy: avoid palm oil, processed sugars, unhealthy ingredients
- Avoid highly processed foods in general
- Cook at home; share meals with family and friends; reduce take-out and fast foods
- Bring your own containers, utensils and cups when getting take-out foods and drinks
- Public transit: cheaper and healthier option (less stress; read, relax, work)
- Telepresence (videoconferencing, webinars) = less travel
- Bicycles and Electric bikes: healthier and easier commutes
- Walk; enhanced walkable infrastructure in towns
- Electric vehicles (hybrid second choice); Ridesharing; Car-sharing; Park-and-Ride (train)
- Reduce air travel; carbon offset unavoidable air travel
- The “4 Rs”of consuming: Refuse, Reduce, Reuse/repair, Recycle
- Refuse single-use plastics and reduce purchases with plastic packaging
- Rooftop solar (photovoltaïc; water heating)
- LED lighting and low-energy lighting
- Water-saving mechanisms/devices
- Smart thermostats and improved insulation; Heat pumps (geothermal heating/cooling)
- Refrigerant management (repair leaks); new natural refrigerants (alternatives to HFCs)
- Alternative cement and eco-based building
- Stop/eradicate Industrial Animal Agriculture/CAFOs (Concentrated Animal Feed Operations.)
- Plant trees (towns, rural areas); Afforestation and Reforestation of degenerated lands
- Home garden: food, beneficial plants, shade and food trees, compost, permaculture, etc.
- Ecosystem protections for biodiversity, carbon sequestration and soil health
- Agriculture: Agroforestry; NO monocrops; crop rotations; reduce tilling; always cover soil!
- Trees in agriculture: intercropping; staple (food) trees; silvopasture (grazing around trees)
- Refuse synthetic fertilisers & pesticides; use natural nutrient management & pest control
- Irrigation improvements; drought resilience by cover-crops, mulching etc. for soil health
- Managed grazing for soil health; grow animal food onsite
- Educate yourself, explore, have fun and find like-minded people!
- Talk to others and get involved in a cause: put passions and skills to good use!
- Vote to protect our health and that of the planet
- Educating girls (education enables more life choices); family planning
- Circular economy (linear = wasteful). Refuse, Reduce, Reuse/repair, Recycle
- Environmentally friendly investments; divest from petrochemical corps